06 May 2007

Wedding Rings

Concluding an exhaustive survey of teenage mall baristas, I have finally discovered the truth behind the missing wedding rings here.

For the last week, curious at the customs, MF & I have been looking for wedding rings on the hands of married couples, but finding none. Almost none. The ‘almost’ is what threw me, because it’s not just the Christians or just the Muslims, or just the Chinese…who wears them seems random.

Random it is. It’s personal, not religious.

According to my representative sample of teenage mall baristas (n=2), in whom I place an absolute confidence & authority on the subject of marriage practices in Indonesia, wedding rings are integral parts of (most people’s) wedding CEREMONY, but wearing them afterwards is an arbitrary, personal choice. It sounded as if actually wearing the rings on a daily basis was considered quaint.
We held up ours; they giggled.

I’d never thought about the ring ceremony & the actual wearing of the rings as completely separate customs, but of course they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home