25 June 2007

Singapore Sling!

We met in Singapore to celebrate!


IMG_2113.JPG

PBH is an old friend & expat writer in Hong Kong, so the Writers’ Bar of the Raffles hotel made a happy middle ground. We’ve both been working on a first novel for years now & that can be isolating work. So it’s not outrageous to me to fly once around the world to meet up with the rare, non-imaginary colleague. Just to talk a little shop & remember that we’re not the only one in these woods.

Also to toast! These months in Jakarta were working months for me. I had to make a choice when we came: I was either going to learn the language & play for adventures, meet lots of people, travel far & wide to Sumatra, Kalimantan, Sulawesi... OR: I was going to finish a draft of my book. I couldn’t do both. So while my stories of Jakarta weren't quite so exciting as they might have been, there we are: the indomitable PBH toasting Singapore Slings to DRAFTS.

IMG_2720.JPG

It needs a lot of revision. That work will fill the months ahead.
But for now: Huzzah! With the McKnight fellowship, I will even be salaried for the research in Sydney & all the work of revision. The first check arrived at the end of May.

ONWARD!
IMG_2725.JPG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home